Zoë & Ellie

Zoë (Sallie) & Ellie are two dogs whose chains of abuse were broken by a police officer in Wadley, Georgia. Their owner was charged with felony aggravated animal cruelty.
Read the Best Friends feature story on their rescue.
Zoë was adopted by a loving family in Oregon.
Ellie was adopted by this blogger's sister & bro-in-law in Atlanta.

Their story is complete.
So many others are not.
Save a Pit Bull.



Saturday, September 26, 2009

Going Where Good is Familiar


Familiar isn't always Good. Good isn't always Familiar. For Sallie, I'd say, Good is now Familiar. The stronger our bond grows, the more I feel the pain of her past life . I shudder when I speculate on the abuse she has suffered. Her triumph will be normalcy, where Good is always Familiar.

This week I got one of those emails fifty times forwarded where you have to scroll through three screens of duck beaks to get to the message. I usually don't even read these. No time for inspiration, I suppose! But I read this one. It was dialogue between a child and his father about the short lifespan of a dog. To paraphrase the wisdom of that imaginary six year old:
People are born to learn how to live a good life, to know and give love, to know and give loyalty, to be and have respect. Dogs arrive knowing this and being this so they don't need as long to learn.
As witness to the resilient and unwavering love, affection and loyalty displayed by this incredible creature we call Sallie, I am reminded of just how true that rings. Watching her dream and hassle, I wonder what horrors have been stamped on her mind. But when I wake her, and she focuses those big searching root beer dum dum eyes, I can see her realization that now she is safe. She would have always been loyal, but in the arms of people who love and respect her, her task is much easier. The betrayal of that loyalty by those who get a charge out of abusing a dog, those who would wager on her life--that betrayal inspires me to do more.



No comments:

Post a Comment