Zoë & Ellie

Zoë (Sallie) & Ellie are two dogs whose chains of abuse were broken by a police officer in Wadley, Georgia. Their owner was charged with felony aggravated animal cruelty.
Read the Best Friends feature story on their rescue.
Zoë was adopted by a loving family in Oregon.
Ellie was adopted by this blogger's sister & bro-in-law in Atlanta.

Their story is complete.
So many others are not.
Save a Pit Bull.



Friday, January 1, 2010

The Final Chapter for Zoë

My little snow angel went to her forever home today. It is of course a wonderful thing when a foster dog finds their forever family. I know she will be with her new people forever and ever. I have fostered enough dogs to naively think that no foster would ever completely and totally steal my heart, but Zoë proved me wrong. She was with us for just over two months, which was long enough for me to fall totally head over heels in love with her, but not long enough for me to get tired of having her in my home. All my foster dogs have been amazing dogs, but usually by the time they find their forever people, I'm ready to see them go. I'm ready to stretch out in bed without multiple dogs hogging the blankets. I'm ready to only have two dogs to take running in the mornings. And I'm usually ready to have one less dog bowl to fill for breakfast and dinner. But not this time. Zoë managed to melt my heart in just a matter of days before she completely stole it. Finding the perfect home for her wasn't the hard part, accepting that the perfect home for her had been found was.

Zoë, as so many dogs of her breed, has quite the story to tell, but you would never know it by looking in her constantly smiling eyes or watching her tail wag a hundred wags per minute. When Zoë first came into our home I anxiously watched every move she made while playing with my two dogs but she never disappointed me, as she wasn't anything but gentle and sweet with my two girls. Zoë never let a second go by without enjoying what the world was offering her. There are good dogs, there are great dogs, there are amazing dogs and then there's Zoë who is both amazing and very very special. Zoë wasn't allowed to live her life as a dog before coming into rescue. She lived life on a chain, starved of both food and companionship. And once she got into foster she spent every minute enjoying life and taking advantage of everything offered to her, including food, chew treats, doggy friends and playtime and lots and lots of love and kisses from her human friends.

There's the saying All I ever needed to know I learned in kindergarten, my saying goes like this, "All I ever needed to know I learned from my foster dog Zoë." She's off to new adventures and experiences and lots of love and doting. And whenever I think of her, I will always remember her scarred ears and paws from perhaps being used as a bait dog in the disturbing world of dog fighting, but more than anything what I will always remember is her never ending wiggle butt, her grin from ear to ear and the appreciation she oozed to us every single day she was here. My little snow angel is on to more hearts to melt and steal.

Thank you Zoë for sharing the true meaning of life with me during your short time with us.

Kym
All For Dogs Rescue of Central Oregon

No comments:

Post a Comment