Zoë & Ellie

Zoë (Sallie) & Ellie are two dogs whose chains of abuse were broken by a police officer in Wadley, Georgia. Their owner was charged with felony aggravated animal cruelty.
Read the Best Friends feature story on their rescue.
Zoë was adopted by a loving family in Oregon.
Ellie was adopted by this blogger's sister & bro-in-law in Atlanta.

Their story is complete.
So many others are not.
Save a Pit Bull.



Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Duration

It has been more than a minute since Officer Petitt fatefully intervened in the lives of two dogs surviving a desperate situation.I used to believe I couldn't make a difference. But then one day I was compelled. Once upon a time I lived in New Orleans and eight feet of water stood in my living room for the month of September in 2005. I wasn't able to get back home for several months and when I did I witnessed thousands of people from anywhere making a difference in the lives of the companion animals abandoned as the clouds gathered.

Emboldened by the insanity of the moment, I too jumped in. I was able to see the difference I can make and then I began to believe.

I moved from New Orleans to rural Georgia in part because I was exhausted with "recovery." I was hopeful for a place where most was not broken. But it didn't take long for that sense of urgency to return. All I had to do was open my eyes to the shameful fate of companion animals in this part of the world. Sure there are lucky dogs and petted cats. But there is an alarming number of throw aways. And where I live, dog fighting is a defended endeavor.

I once had a co-worker (a mother of two teenage boys) tell me that in this part of the country dogfighting was no different than dirt track racing and deer hunting. The headlines indicate just how endemic it is. In four months' time two suspected dogfighting operations have been unearthed in my town, pop. 452.

October 9, 2009, True Citizen,
Dogfighting operation discovered


January 8, 2010, Forest Blade,
Arrest made in suspected dog fighting operation


Two hundred and twenty five days ago I was contacted to assist in the rescue of two Pit Bulls who had possibly been used for dog fighting. I couldn't make a difference. You can't just bring a dog like that into your home.

But then, emboldened by the insanity of the moment, I jumped in. I probably contacted you to help. You probably did help. And look at the difference we made.

Today, Zoe (f/k/a Sallie), has a new name and a new life with her new family in a new state.

Ellie, remains in foster with a foster mom who has no doubt fallen in love. Ellie & her foster mom are working with the professional trainers at Sit Means Sit Atlanta to help her purge the last demon.

I have asked her foster mom to keep us updated with Ellie's progress.

All who meet her fall in love. Ellie patiently awaits her new life with her new family. We are searching for the perfect household, where Ellie is allowed to be the only companion animal. She will bring unadultered joy to the lucky person who finds her. Please share her story with anyone who you know that may be so lucky.

And thank you for helping to make it all happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment